Bitcoin-Qt UI options for configuring Tor proxy: select one or both?

Bitcoin-Qt UI options for configuring Tor proxy: select one or both?

I have two questions that I can't seem to find answers for anywhere, probably because they are noob questions, so please bear with me. I don't want this to be redundant and will close the thread if someone has a link to the answers somewhere.

My goal is to run a full node that meets the following criteria:

  • Reachable by both regular and Tor-only nodes to support the overall health of the network
  • Broadcasts my own personal transactions via Tor (for privacy)

So far, I have completed the below steps by following the very helpful instructions here and here

  • Synced the node
  • Checked the "Connect through SOCKS5 proxy (default proxy)" option in the UI and set it to 127.0.0.1:9050 so it connects to Tor
  • Enabled Tor's control socket with CookieAuthentication and verified that the hidden onion service is automatically created by bitcoin via the logs with debub=tor

Now, my two questions

  1. Do I need to use the "bind=127.0.0.1" configuration option mentioned in the tutorials to achieve my goals or does it not matter? Currently, my node receives no inbound connections when I set "bind=127.0.0.1" in the configuration file. I verified this by both waiting a while to see if any came in and using the bitnodes checker. However, when I don't use this configuration option at all, inbound connections seem to work fine (debug log shows my node is bound to 0.0.0.0:8333 instead). Hoping this is not relevant to my goal.
  2. Do I need to also select the "Use separate SOCKS5 proxy to reach peers via Tor hidden services" option in the UI and set the proxy to 127.0.0.1:9051 (Tor's control port)? Or is leaving just the first proxy box checked for the :9050 Tor proxy fine...I don't fully understand the relationship between these two Proxy UI options and the command line/configuration file options (and default values) that they represent.

Other details if helpful:

  • Node is v0.17.1 and running on Ubuntu 18.04
  • Port 8333 is configured on my router and firewall to accept traffic
  • Only bitcoin.conf options I have set are
    • par=2
    • dbcache=4096
    • listen=1
http://bit.ly/2Wt56Ht

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sendrawtransaction and txn-mempool-conflict

couldn't connect to server: EOF reached (code 1)